It’s been a while since I have been able to blog, but I have to come to share about Mary Jane Hall’s new book, Colorful Crochet Lace because it is so fabulous!
Colorful Crochet Lace: 22 chic garments & accessories is a collection of modern garments and accessories designed by Mary Jane Hall and published by Interweave/F+W Media, Inc. Hall used traditional lace techniques, such as fan, shell, popcorn and love knot stitches, and a variety of yarn weights to design clothing and accessories that work for women of all ages and sizes.
Hall created elegant lace scarves, shawls and tops that have a vintage, Victorian flare, but she also went beyond the expected to include other fashionable pieces such as a hooded jacket, flared hem dress and crop top. Some of the garments with more lacy openwork include the Le Chocolate Skirt, Dominique Dress Overlay and Magnifique Modular Tunic, which work well as stylish layers to be worn on top of other garments. Also, the Michelle Ma Belle Shrug and Haute Couture Peplum Top are perfect for those who prefer more solid lace garments.
My personal favorites from the book are the Brigitte Wide Belt, Juliette Scarf and Au Naturel Cropped Top.
Each pattern includes a chart that breaks down the anatomy of the lace stitches. Schematics are also available for the items that require seaming. This book is designed with a French chic look and feel, and it contains stunning images that show the garments and accessories from multiple angles. The instructions are well written and contain several notes for additional assistance.
Hall concludes her book with an explanation of her Graduated Stitch Method, which she is known for using to shape her garments, along with crochet abbreviations and a stitch glossary.
Colorful Crochet Lace: 22 chic garments & accessories is the perfect book for anyone who loves the look of lace but has been intimidated to try making something fashionable. Also, the repetition of the lace patterns makes it easy for experienced crocheters to make adjustments, if needed.
Next on the Blog Tour is Jocelyn Sass of Cute Crochet Chat. Be sure to check out her chat session and don’t miss the giveaway.
Colorful Crochet Lace Book Blog Tour
- Knit Crochet Craft– Vickie Howell (Mary Jane will be Vickie’s guest blogger that day, kicking off the tour 8/4)
- Outstanding Crochet– Natalia Kononova (review and promotional giveaway 8/5) +photos of her project
- Bonnie Bay– Bonnie Barker (review, interview, and promotional giveaway 8/6) She’s making a project
- Crochetville– Amy Shelton (she’ll show the Au Naturel Top she made, review, promotional giveaway 8/7) Amy made the Au Natural Cropped Top and will share her picturesj
- My Little City Girl– Alla Koval (she’ll show the Juliette Scarf she made , interview, and review 8/10). Alla made a project which she will share.
- Yarn Thing Podcast– Marly Bird (author interview podcast 8/13)
- Hook & Needle Designs– Lisa Gentry (8/14)
- GoCrochet– Ellen Gormley (review and author interview) (8/17)
- Turquoiz Blue – This is Crochet– Turquoiz Blue (8/18)
- Cute Crochet Chat– Jocelyn Sass (review and promotional giveaway 8/19)
- Hot Lava Crochet– Tammy Hildebrand (interview, review, and promotional giveaway 8/20)
- The Crochet Architect– Susan Lowman 8/21
- Crochet Renee – Renee Rogers 8/24